Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Reading Report September 2014


What I read in September 2014


Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance

Isla and Josh attend an American HS in Paris, but while they were both home in Manhattan the summer before their senior year they run into each other giving them a reason to meet up when they return to school. Hoping they'd get to spend their Senior year in bliss together Isla and Josh have a few roadblocks to overcome.

 Fans of Stephanie Perkins have been waiting for this book for a long time and it did not disappoint this reader. I LOVE all she's written but this really was just delightful. I've read her others a few times and enjoy them every time. This is the 3rd book in a companion set (Anna and the French Kiss & Lola and the Boy Next Door). 



Mash by Richard Hooker
Historical Fiction, Humor

The original versions of some classic scenes from the motion picture and television series.

A quirky look at life in the Army.  I really liked this one. Mainly stories about Hawkeye and Pierce but a lot of the gang is there. Most of the stories I could remember seeing aspects of it in the tv show. 



Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler
Contemporary, YA, Fiction

Delilah's losing her grip and seems to think it's a family trait. After finding out her grandma passed away her and her mom are off to close up her grandma's house, where she used to spend her summes until something went wrong. The last few years they haven't spoken to the family.  This year though, she's finding herself and her family secrets. 

I like Ocklers writing. I was a little annoyed at Delilah's constant lost feeling but I suppose it's because I couldn't quite relate. Regardless the story was good. There is a good array of characters and a cute boy which always helps too. 



The Husband Maker by Karey White
Romance, Contemporary

Charlotte doesn't have a great history with the men seeing as how every time she breaks up with one, he gets married to the next woman he dates. Her friend sets her up with political hopefuly Kyle and the two seem to click. 

I only liked this one sorta. By the title I was expecting something different but the story involves one chapter where Charlotte talks about her past ex's and how they're all married then the rest of the book is about her relationship with Kyle. It's a fun story but I was frustrated with the book because of the non-ending ending, not realizing it was a series. Interesting but I don't care enough to pick up the next one.



Landline by Rainbow Rowell
Fiction, Romance, Adult

Georgie's marriage is in trouble. But she deeply loves her husband Neal and he loves her. Right before they're supposed to take their girls to his parents house for Christmas a big project comes up at work and she decides to stick around to work. She immediatly regrets not going and wonders if it might be too late. It's then she finds a way to communicate with Neal, but it's Neal from back when they were dating. Is this how she can fix her marriage?

Another great one by Rainbow Rowell. While I wasn't sure about the plot lines (I didn't read the synopsis before I started the book, and wasn't expecting a non realistic) I still enjoyed the story. She has a way of writing characters that are quirky and interesting and real and not at all perfect. Plus her writing pulls me in. Or her storytelling. Or both. She's brilliant. (My favorite of her books is Attachments.)



The Pet War by Allan Woodrow
Childrens, Humor

Otto wants a dog. Lexi wants a cat. Their mom isn't sure about either. Otto and his sister Lexi have one month to earn $500 each to show their mom they're serious about wanting to take care of a pet. The winner chooses the family pet.

I read this one with my kids. Multiple times they laughed and laughed. I wasn't totally thrilled with all the silly name calling (it's written from an 11 yo boys point of view) but it was a small dislike for an overall fun book! We got to have a lot of talks about responsibility and following through with what you say.


No comments: