Monday, March 8, 2010

The One With the Name

The one thats for Victoria (and literally about 4 months late). I adore this lady and all her wisdom and humor! She asked (as have many of you) for the story behind the name. Here ya go.

When I was younger I always thought it was cool to have a nickname. A lot of the guy friends I knew in highschool went by nicknames (even if it was just by me or between friends). I always thought I didn't have one but trying to think back I realize I have actually had a few.

A few of my favorite:
Senorita Sexy Pants (from the boy next door)
Kiddo (from a friend just 13 mo older than me)
Fish (from my boyfriend, now hubby)
Sprtygal (my first ever email address from like 8th grade.)
SirBoobieX (sounds like a sexy knight right?)

....and then there was Cranberry Fries.
I went by Sprtygal on the few forums that I joined. And while that is a fun and great name, I just dont feel like I am as sporty as I was in highschool when I created the name. Plus with the face paced social world I wanted to come up with a name that was memorable. One night while thinking of all the things that make me unique and different and something that I might tell people when introducing myself I had a thought.


The Cranberry:
I once mentioned to my sister-in-law about how I'm always drinking Cranberry Juice and she looked at me and said, "for fun??" I wasn't sure what she was talking about. Of course. Then she told me that in any flavor she really just doesnt like the stuff. I told her not only do I like it, it was my ambrosia! Seriously people, there is nothing better than some pebbled ice and Cranberry juice. Oh heaven.


Oops. Not that Fry.




The Fries:
Ever since I was little I have had a thing for fries. I remember once my sister and I threw a rootbeer fry party. She got her love of rootbeer in several different varieties and I got my love of french fries from several different eating establishments. Then we had them in taste testing cups for people to try to guess the brand of the rootbeer and the restaurant of the french fries. Or how about the time when we moved when I was 11 and now was just two blocks away from a Wendy's. Sure it was across a major busy street but I'd walk over there, all by my little girl self, every once in a while, just to order a biggie fry and eat it. But I was determined to get my fries. Or the time when my hubby and I stopped on the way to our own wedding reception to grab some dinner and fries. Yes I've always loved my french fries.


So basically after that long story, here's the short: One day I thought, "Hey Cranberry Fries sounds neat."

18 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

It is neat. I always wondered the story behind it. I figured you were a fan of both. I also like cranberries and fries. Fries more... YUM! What's your favorite french fry establishment? Mine is probably McD's. I know... some will scoff but I dig them. Have you tried SmashBurger yet? They have french fries but they're like fancy. Seasoned with fresh herbs and stuff. Those are tasty too. Whoa, it's late. I better go to bed! Yeah cranberryfries!

Jenni Elyse said...

I think it's a great name. It also makes a great emblem for your business card and blog. :)

Kristina P. said...

I think it's fun and it definitely makes you stand out!

Victoria said...

LOVE it! Haha~ and can I tell you my cranberry juice story? You know what... maybe I'll tell it on my blog later in the week instead. The short version is I used to hate it, but now I love it. I will tell you why later. Also my son Casey (22) has told everyone since he was about 13, that his ambition for his life is to work in a cranberry bog:) Haha! Thanks for the post.

Victoria said...

Oh, AND the post title... haha! Nice little nod:)

Erin said...

Very cute story. I love fries. I wish I could say the same about cranberry juice :)

Susan said...

I have been meaning to ask you the story behind that name. It is definitely a stand out name, so kudos to you! I myself enjoy cranberry juice very very much. Have you ever tried it with a little soda water and lime? mm MM MM!

Me (aka Danielle) said...

I quite like the name. It truly is unique and memorable! It sticks with ya!

Anonymous said...

I love both of those things! Cranberry and Fries. Cranberry took time to grow on me but it took a while. (And I frickin' love Futurama.)

Rachel Sue said...

IT is kind of fun. And completely original. Like you!

Openhome said...

Love the name. It took me a few days to come up with mine, so I totally understand the importance of a really cool name that means a little something to you.

Camie Marie said...

That's a great story. When Kambree and I came to your book club she started chuckling and told me she just realized your last name was not really CranberryFries. ;) You are a creative gal!

Violet said...

I love cranberry juice (and cookies) & there is nothing yummier than hot, salty french fries! :) I think Cranberry Fries is such a fun nickname and it suits you very well.

Brodi Ashton said...

It does suit you well. I'm always on the verge of introducing you, "This is my cousin, Cranberryfries. She's also, on occasion, known as "Debbie"."

Charlotte said...

I thought there was some sort of recipe I didn't know about. People put ketchup on their eggs, why not some sort of Cranberry Fry?

Kayla said...

I would happily come to a cranberry juice and fry tasting party if you ever decide to do one! One of my favorite cranberry juices is the Langer's cranberry pomegranate juice! YUM!!! And I'm pretty sure that my favorite fries are from either Red Robin or those sweet potato fries that we got together a few months ago!

Greg and Kimberly ... said...

Love me some Cran-Raspberry juice! I don't know why, but plain makes my mouth kind-of dry. Does that make sense?

Fav fries? In-n-Out. I know you're not a fan, but I love 'em. Wendy's are also yummy, especially dipped in my frosty.

CaryMac said...

Fun to get to know you better! I love your name!

And just so you know, my husband and I stopped for fries and a shake in Gunnison on the way to our luncheon--and then we bought a vacuum--I couldn't figure out (until later) why everyone laughed when we told them where we had been... :)