Thursday, May 26, 2011

Author Interview with Sheralyn Pratt

Ah this girl is SO awesome! Dear friends let me welcome the great Sheralyn Pratt. I first heard about her books from my friend Kristie who told me they were awesome and funny! Sure enough, I read them and was LAUGHING OUT LOUD so many times.

Sheralyn is just as fun in person as her characters are in her books. :) She kindly agreed to answer some of my questions so take a look and get to know this great gal!


• What was the best advice you got before you were published (or on your writing journey) ?

The best advice (which I rarely follow) was to wait two weeks before showing anyone anything you’ve written. Write it, let it marinate while go read other authors you love, come back, and re-read your work. If you still like it, then you can show it to someone else. Sound advice. I should follow it more often.

• If you could be one of your characters for a day who would you be and why?

As much as I love Rhea and as desperately as I need Kay’s tough love when it comes to what I put in my closet, I would have to hang out with a character no one’s met yet. Her name is Nev… and one day you will know why she’s at the top of my list. I’ll give you one reason for why I want to pick her brain, though: she’s been around for 1200 years.

• What’s been a fun perk of being published?

One perk has to be the instant street cred. Can’t lie about that. Also, being published can and does open doors. But one of the top perks has to be that I have one less “If only…” in my life. The flip side is the pressure of the business side of it all. That can be a kill joy if you let it.

• Looking forward to anything in the future? (signing events, new book coming out, conferences attending?)

I plan on this summer being fun—taking trips, doing out-of-state signings (if there’s an area you want me to visit, let me know), and working on three books, two fiction and one awesome nonfiction that I’m going to need help with from everyone within the sound of my voice. I’m making a little web page for it now, so stay tuned on that. I think it will be a hit!

• Any upcoming events I can tell my readers about?

Same as above. Things aren't concrete yet, but this summer is going to be a series of trips all over the country. Cities and dates coming soon, but it’s going to be great and I’ll be excited to meet people I’ve only known through the internet. It’ll be fun and productive—two words I like to combine as often as possible!

• Biggest/hardest change since being published? (in writing or life, etc.)

Probably the lifestyle change of sitting all the time. My body doesn't like it and I feel like I spend half the year with my siatic nerve pinched. The only way for me to fix it is to get out and exercise, and I haven't yet found the balance between my old ways and my new ways. Probably not the answer you were expecting, eh?

• What’s a good book you’ve read this year that you’d recommend to others?

I ALWAYS recommend Save the Cat to writers. Love that book! Research books I’ve been enjoying are the Tao Te Ching and the Apocrypha. In the fiction arena I like Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series and Rick Riordan.

People always get to ask Q&A’s when they go to author events. What’s the best question you’ve been asked? (What was your answer?)

I know somebody asked something brilliant once. I remember it stumping me. But like most brilliant things, I have since forgotten the question. Sorry. Some help I am!

• If your load was lightened what is a guilty pleasure you would partake in?

Adrenaline. I’m not sure when exactly I grew up, but man, adulthood can be mundane. I’m up for a few thrills, for sure! Either that, or long-term camping. I’m always up for that, too

• If you had to rewrite a nursery rhyme which one would you choose/why/how would you make it your own/fun to read?

I can honestly say I have never, ever thought about this in my life. But the first one that comes to mind is “There was an old lady who lived in a shoe…” Great. Thanks! Now I’m going to dream about that tonight…

• Have you gotten to travel anywhere fun/different because of your book(s)?

So far I’ve been tame in my travels, but trust me, before long I’ll be hitting places like Thailand, South Africa, Germany, Egypt, Machu Picchu, Ireland, and anywhere else where either nature or man is displaying something that makes me feel absolutely small and insignificant. Can’t wait!



Thanks so much for answering all of my crazy questions Sheralyn! It's been a pleasure having you stop by to say hi!


3 comments:

Kristie said...

He, he. I have good instincts about authors. Or at least her. She is amazing! Thanks for sharing the interview!

The Writer said...

Thank you, Debbie (and Kristie, too). So fun getting to know you better, and I'm excited to see you at the Possession launch (I'll be at the King's English). That's going to be great!!!

Angie said...

Great interview! Sherilyn is just awesome, and her books too. I enjoyed learning more about her. Thanks to both of you.