Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cranberryfries Homemade Chili

This is one of my most favorite go-to meals. I used to detest leftovers of any kind but now that I'm making smarter, healthier choices than I was before I find it way easier to stick to what I know is healthy for me. This usually means that breakfast, lunch, and snacks are pretty much the same thing every day (with mild variation). I do love doing different things for dinner though (so my family doesnt get bored).

If all goes as planned, Sunday is my meal plan day when I lay out my weeks worth of food plans and if I can, prep as much of it as needed. This week I made this chili and grilled cubed chicken (to use in tossed salads or other meals-though this week I'll be using it in my chili for more protein and for snacks).

Cranberryfries Chili

Ingredients:
  • 1 can (15 oz) red beans
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 1 can great northern beans
  • 1 lrg can (29 oz) tomato sauce
  • *1 can tomatoes, petite diced with chipotle chiles
  • 1lb extra lean ground beef (or any meat of your choice) (cook, drain grease and add at any point)


Directions:
Simmer on stove for 30 minutes or cook in crockpot for a few hours.
If you add all the beans above this usually makes about 10 or so cups (w/ no meat). Sometimes if I don’t have them all on hand I’ll throw in what I do have, I’d suggest at least using 4 varieties. With the 1lb ground beef I got 12 cups.

It’s pretty easy. I add a little season all to my meat when I’m cooking it but otherwise the only extra flavoring I add is in the ingredient I swear that makes this whole recipe delicious. (see * above)

It does make quite a bit so I usually will freeze half (I think it freezes pretty well) and use the other half for a week worth of lunches for me. (My 7 y/o helps me eat it too, it's one of her favorites!)

Nutritional Information including all above ingredients (this is a very close estimate-I did enter all the info into a recipe builder):
Total ~12 cups                   1 serving is ½ cup
146 calories; 10 g protein, 22 g carbohydrates, 11 g iron; 2 g fat; 2 g fiber


(This was right after I added in all the beans,
but hadn't yet added in my lb of ground beef)
Assuming you get 10 cups out of this here is the nutritional information (without any meat) (this is a very close estimate):
Total ~10 cups.                 1 serving is ½ cup
142 calories; 8 g protein; 27 g carb; 11g iron; 0g fat; 7 g fiber

~Lots of additions! You can also add in corn, sour cream (or greek yogurt for more protein!), cheese and eat with tortilla chips.

3 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

That actually sounds really yummy. I'd just have to figure something out for the grown beef since I'm not eating meat anymore. I guess it'd probably taste just as good without it. I'll have to try it out. :)

Kristie said...

This sounds so good. Thanks for sharing a yummy recipe.

Heidi said...

One of my favorites!