Monday, March 21, 2011

Marriage Monday: Speak the Right Language

The Five Love Languages
  1. Words of Affirmation-Hearing the words "I love you" are important-hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward.
  2. Quality Time-Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes your significant other feel truly special and loved.
  3. Receiving Gifts-If you speak this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you.
  4. Acts of Service-Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.”
  5. Physical Touch-Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face—they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love.
I'd highly encourage you to get a hold of this book and learn more about each love language, both for yourself and for your spouse (or others you know). You can visit the official website and take an assessment right now.


*Information on this post is from The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman



Find my other Marriage Mondays here.






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done the Love Languages study a couple times. Once before I was married, with my family, and once after in a marriage Sunday School class. My #1 is Words of Affirmation. My #2 is Gifts. My husbands #1 is Service and his #2 is Quality Time. :)

Jordy said...

Cranberry Fries! I see it now!

Barbaloot said...

I've heard/read about all of these. I think I pick to haev all five:)

Jenni Elyse said...

I want to read this book. I was going to read it a few years ago, but never got around to it. I did take the little test, though. (Although, I really didn't need it.) My language is hands down gift receiving. I feel like it makes me a little bit shallow.

Cranberryfries said...

Noelle thats so great you've been able to take it a few times. I've certainly notice from the first time I took this (a year or two before I was married) to the few times since, to even just a few days ago mine has changed. Which I think is good for not only me to realize, but obviously my husband too.

Jordan! I'm so glad you made it over here. :) Haha I didnt realize you'd never stopped by before or else I would have explained it better yesterday when you asked what it meant.

Barbaloot thats awesome. That means we can do any/all of the above and it'll all work right? :)

Jenni I think thats a very common concern. In fact in the little description about it, it says do not mistake this for materialistic. It's more the why (love, thoughtfulness and effort) behind it.

Olivia Carter said...

Scott & I did this a while ago- Scott's parents are big believes in this.

I'm words of affermation BIG TIME. If paying attention to me or making me the center of the universe was one that'd be my second (I guess that's quality time, eh?)

Scott's is Physical & he always jokes that he's a guy of course it's physical but he's totally totally is physical (not just sex). he loves having his back scratched, or hands rubbed- all that stuff.

I think it's GREAT to know what eachothers love languages are b/c even though I do hold Scott's hand etc. I make a special effort to show him I love him that way.